Monday, December 29, 2014

December 29 2014



I'm not a New Years resolution guy, I never have been, I decide to try new things, test new theories or stay the same all year round and no matter what day it is.  I'm also very routine; I eat, sleep and play the same everyday.  I don't enjoy mixing it up and am very pleased with a, “If it's not broken don't fix it” approach. That being said, a lot of people are not this way they look at the New Year as a new beginning and new opportunity to change something or set a goal.  If you are this way, this can be a good way to get or stay committed to your gym routine and fitness goals.  It doesn't have to be an elaborate commitment or goal but it should be an attainable one and it should have a specific approach and timeframe.  That way you’re not setting yourself up for failure or an excuse to forget about your goal.  Here's a few examples of what I mean;

Bad goal: I will double my back squat

Why is it bad? There's no approach or explanation of how you're going to do it and also no time frame, when are you going to do this? Over 2 years or 2 weeks? This is bound to be a forgotten goal or at the very least a disappointing one.

Good goal: I will improve my pullups by practicing them for 5 minutes before class every time I come to the gym this month.

Why is this good? It lays out what you're looking to do, how you will do it and when you will do it.  It also sets a timeframe (this month) so that way there is an end in sight in which you can measure your progress and/or set a new goal expanding on the goal in a relatively foreseeable timeframe - maybe by a month you will be able to do 2 more strict pullups than at the beginning of the month and you want to test this method for another month or add to the movement by adding something like chest to bar pullups to your practice or bar muscle ups for another 30 days.  This is the type of goal I think you should be looking to set for yourself, measurable, attainable and realistic.


Lastly, put your goal in writing somewhere, tell someone and let’s see where it goes.  If you are the type of person that has trouble getting to the gym make your goal commitment based, if you are committed already make it performance based or attack a new skill.  My goal this year hasn’t changed and is to help make your fitness not just a resolution or passing phase for you guys but the lifestyle and necessity that I feel it should be in your life and I will do that by continuing to encourage you to push past what you thought you could do every time you step into the gym.  


Strength:

Strict Press 

5-5-3-3-1-1-1


Conditioning:

5 Rounds of:

12 Deadlifts
9 Hang Power Cleans
6 Push Jerks

This workout will be performed in two person teams. Each team member will complete one round while the other rests for a total of 10 rounds for time.

*Each round will be attempted unbroken - weight should be difficult but not max.  (Think 90% of max strict press) 

No 6PM Class Wednesday night, regular schedule rest of the week

No comments:

Post a Comment