Monday, December 14, 2015

December 14 2015


Conditioning:

3 Rounds For Time of:

12 Deadlifts (275/185)
24 Box Jumps 
36 Wallballs


Scale as needed........Think roughly 60% of 1 rep max  for the deadlifts...
Unsure?  Ask a coach...
20 Minute Cap
Strength:

Bench Press
5-5-5-5-5

Monday Morning Rant:

Every once in a while, after class, I’ll ask someone what they are going to go eat or, "What’s for dinner?" and I get an answer that makes me literally want to smash my head against the wall.  Sometimes it’s because of what they say they are going to eat but more times than that is what they are NOT going to eat.  The answer of “Nothing” or “I won’t be home and eating until 9pm” is just plain awful and destroying your hopes of recovering well or reaching any of your goals.  The simplest way I can put this is that the work we do in the 60 minutes of class is using up energy and nutrients that your body needs to repair, recover and stay healthy. No matter what your goal is you need to replace those nutrients and energy in some way.  After hard exercise there is about a 30-60 minute window in which your body wants and needs to replace those nutrients back to the exact areas we worked during exercise.  What nutrients?  Mostly, PROTEIN and SOME carbohydrates to help transport the protein.  So when you tell me I won’t be eating for two hours and it will probably will be pizza or pasta or a bowl of rice, congratulations you have just undone all the work you did today by missing the window and sending your metabolism into what is known as starvation mode. This metabolism shutdown not only won’t allow you to rebuild and recover but instead it will force you to store whatever you next take in next (The crap you wake up and eat because your "hungry") as fat because it thinks you might starve it again and it will need these fat stores for later.  This is why all your fat friends tell you, “I don’t eat that much!!”  What they really mean is they don’t eat that often and when they do, believe me, they eat!! Now like I said, that is about as simple as I can put it but there is a lot more complicated science to all of this that I won't get into but the bottom line is you need to quickly replenish yourself after working out whether you are trying to build muscle, lose weight or maintain your fitness.  I am well aware we are all busy and it is sometimes difficult to eat when we need to but no one really has an excuse nowadays, it is super easy to throw a scoop of whey protein into a shaker cup and bring it with you in your gym bag.  This is also hugely beneficial because it digests faster than real food and will start your muscles into recovery right away with a good protein/carbohydrate mix and useful amino acids to help get you what you need.  Should this replace your regular meal? NO, but it will at least set you into recovery the right way, avoid halting your metabolism and hold you over until you can get your hands on a dead animal and some vegetables.  If you have any questions let me know, unless that question is, “Will this make me bulky or muscular?” in which case don’t ever talk to me.  This is not about bodybuilding or turning women into a she-males this is 100% about recovery and you need it!  A couple of safe protein brands that I use or have used are listed below, there is a lot of crap and HYPE out there but I trust these products,  they have good protein/carb ratios, low or no sugar, simple ingredients for the most part and are MUCH better than nothing.  I can't comment on the FAD shakes of today that are all over everyone's FB newsfeed because I have no experience with them and haven't read the labels on them so I can't recommend any of those, I don't want to promote anything I haven't tried myself so I won't, even a good size glass of milk immediately after would be better than nothing if you can't spend the money on simple whey protein, and yes, I’m serious.  If you have questions on where or what to buy, ask a coach or do some trial and error research and find out what works best for you.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/bsn/synth.html

http://www.sfh.com/shop/whey-protein/pure-whey-2lb-bag.html

No comments:

Post a Comment